Strategies to Deal with a Bully
Tell a teacher, principal, or counselor.
- Tell an adult that you want this to stop. You are not the only one being bullied and if you can make it stop you are seen as a protector. It is not tattling to tell an adult. You need to stand up for yourself and feel safe.
Surround yourself with friends.
- Tell your friends that this is happening and you need their help.
Ask the bully to stop…if the bully says no then say, "well at least I asked you!" and walk away.
- Saying no or stop will turn the bullying into a conversation. The bully does not want to talk and he/she will get tired of bullying someone that tries to talk.
Ignore the bully. This will take time but the bully will not waste time if you seem unaffected.
- If the bully is in your face, ask him/ her to step a little farther away to bully you so you can continue doing what you are doing.
Use humor! If the bully makes fun of your clothes, make a joke about it.
- If the bully calls you names, come up with funnier ones and ask if he/she thought of that one.
- Make fun of yourself and laugh. The bully wants to make you angry or sad, if you are unaffected then the bully is wasting time on you and will stop.
Ask the bully WHY?
- If the bully says: “You look funny with your…” ask he/she why that is? Keep asking why until the bully gets annoyed.
Laugh it off! Just laugh! If the bully feels that this is not hurting you and you find it amusing he/she will get tired of trying to tease you.
Stand tall and look the bully in the eyes and say something nice:
- Ask him/her questions.
- Give the bully a compliment.
- Walk away and pretend it does not bother you.
Use self-confidence and feel good about yourself. The bully has problems and is using you to feel better. If you feel good about yourself the bully will not want to pick on you because it is not affecting you.
Remember that any of these strategies take time to work and it will get better! The bully is the one that is looking to hurt people. If you are not bothered by the mean comments and teasing, the bully will eventually stop.
The opposite of bullying is TEAM BUILDING!